Write the legislature and assert your position that they VOTE NO on HB 0270 as it is not the proper role of government.
HB 270, sponsored by Rep. Trevor Lee, attempts to regulate the use of cellular phones in schools, circumventing parents, teachers, institutions, LEAs and the Utah State Board of Education.
Reasons to oppose this bill are listed, but not limited to the following.
- This is not the proper role of the legislature. The proper role of the legislature is to injunct the state, not the people.
- These are familial decisions and should be made in the home and not the halls of government.
- Fiscal irresponsibility. Hearing this bill is simply a waste of taxpayer money.
- Districts already have cell phone policies and consequences for the same. This is a “local issue” and should be treated as such.
- This bill is a “communist” attempt at controlling the people and, as such, should be rejected.
- This bill flies in the face of individual liberties and constitutional freedoms.